1.01.2006

2005: year in review

It’s New Year’s Eve and I’m shut in my brother’s room in front of the computer when I should be out with my family celebrating (or probably snogging my boyfriend). Maybe it’s because I’m turning 28 this year and finally felt like acting my age that I’ve suddenly turned emo and decide to reflect on the year past.
’05 taught me that even parents aren’t perfect and that they’re also human, but that isn’t an excuse for them to drag their kids into their relationship crises. I’ve learned that no matter how much I convince either parent, neither will believe that I haven’t taken the side of the other.
Absolut Kurant with Sprite in a girlie bar isn't a good mix. Me in a girlie bar with my boss and officemates (all men)... Uh. Yeah. Let's end it there.
Diet and men in the same sentence? Try diet and men in the same office! I'm surrounded with testosterone and it hasn't helped my weight. Especially the fact that when the guys and I lunch out, I end up eating more than I'm supposed to without a female diet buddy around.
Just before Christmas, my phone was stolen. The realization that more than a decade of friendship doesn’t matter to a moocher much less the fact that I loved her enough to confront her and give her the chance to tell me why taught me that ne humanus crede is a perfect personal motto. Losing my phone wasn’t the painful part; it was hearing my friend lie to me, and hearing myself actually trying to make it a painless confession. I felt sick to my stomach learning that I’m just a lousy pushover. The tragedy of it all? She didn’t own up.
I’ve spent 2005 searching for happiness. I honestly didn’t know where to start. I have a good enough paycheck. I get driven to work. I have a scrumptious boyfriend. I can talk hours on end on my mobile because I don’t foot the bill. My work is play (I actually wear flipflops to work). My parents have learned to let me be the adult for once and I can stay out for as long as I want (that’s 3am in their book.). All that and yeah, all right. I admit I am hard to please.
But ’06 is something I can really REALLY look forward to. My boyfriend and I have rented an apartment and in mid-January we’re opening shop. An internet café with couches! Well, just a couple of them though. We’ve decided that this year might not be a good time to tie the knot, maybe being business partners would be like living together. I’ll just keep on telling myself that and find my own brand of happiness. Hmm.